Managing your device's resources in Device Management Portal
This section explains how you can view your device's available resources and perform common read and write operations using Device Management Portal.
Note: This tutorial assumes that you have your device successfully connected to Device Management. Please read the tutorials if you haven't connected your device yet.
First, log in to your account on Device Management Portal.
View device details
The Device directory page in the portal shows device information.
To view details of your device, click your device's Device ID. This opens the Device details pane (Summary tab) where you can see details such as Name, Description, Date created, Date bootstrapped and edit some of the values:
- To edit device name or description, click the Edit button (pen icon).
- To add custom attributes for filtering your devices, open the Attributes tab and click Add.
- To edit or delete custom attributes, tick the checkbox next to an attribute and click Action to select the desired action.
- To view the resources currently exposed from the device, open the Resources tab.
- To view the logs for your device, open the Events log tab.
Read from and write to the resources on the device
You can read from and write to device resources in the portal. Some of the resources are writable and some read-only and observable.
To view an observable resource:
- Open the Device directory page and click your device's ID. The device's information is displayed in a new pane.
- Select the Resources tab. The list of resources shows whether a resource is observable or not.
- Click the name of a resource. This opens an information window. For observable resources, it displays the latest value.
For writable resources, the steps are the same as for Read. However, you can edit the value of the resource.
Note: Your device will reject an attempt to write into a non-writable resource, and the new value will not be written or reflected.