Firmware update concepts
This section covers the concepts associated with the firmware update process. We recommend you read this material as a supplement if you're interested in how Update works, or if your devices have advanced configuration requirements.
If you just need a step-by-step guide to performing an update, see the tutorials.
These pages cover:
- Update client, part of Device Management Client, which contains the libraries Pelion uses to carry out device management operations.
- Update client configuration.
- The two types of device identifiers, vendor ID and class ID, that Device Management uses to determine which devices receive an update.
- The different types and components of firmware images, including full and delta images.
- Manifests, which tell devices to trust an update.
- Bootloaders, which ensure your device applies the update and loads the new firmware upon reboot.
- Update security, so your device only applies updates you have certified.
- Authenticity certificates to establish sources of trust.
- Update campaigns, the process by which you apply an update to a device, including campaign phases. There is also an example of network traffic for a given configuration during an update campaign.