Introduction to Pelion Device Management Client Lite
The Pelion Device Management Client Lite preview is a library you can use to connect constrained embedded devices to Pelion Device Management.
This is an early preview version of Pelion Client Lite aimed for low memory footprint (both ROM and RAM). You can use it to create applications with LwM2M features:
- Manage devices with Device Management.
- Securely communicate with internet services over the industry standard TLS/DTLS.
- Fully control the endpoint and application logic.
- Secure firmware update capability (pre-integrated).
Client Lite is targeting devices with a footprint of 32-64kB RAM, 256-512kB ROM.
We want to facilitate early trials with the preview release. We are interested in your feedback, so we can drive the product in the right direction. Feature requests and proposals for API design and documentation are welcome. Please leave your feedback to us as GitHub issues.
The software is alpha quality, which means:
- All client features are not in place yet.
- APIs may change.
- Documentation is not perfect.
- Memory (RAM/ROM) consumption is not in target level.
We also have another client solution available. We designed Device Management Client for larger devices. See the table for a comparison of the two solutions.
|Features||Device Management Client Lite||Device Management Client|
|Repository||Public, pelion-client-lite-example||Public, mbed-cloud-client-example|
|Security||X.509 certificates||X.509 certificates|
|(D)TLS resume||Not yet, coming||Yes|
|TLS off-loading||Not yet, coming||No|
|Entropy injection||Not yet, TRNG required||Yes|
|Secure Device Access||No||Yes|
|Product Security Architecture (PSA)||No||Yes|
|Extra certificate renewal||No||Yes|
|Device generated key/EST||No||Yes|
|Firmware Update||Yes, no delta yet||Yes, with delta|
|Supported execution mode||RTOS, bare-metal||RTOS|
|Licensing||Apache 2.0||Apache 2.0|
|OS support||Mbed OS 5||Mbed OS 5, SXOS, Linux.
Adaptation Layer for other ports.
If you need any features marked as "No" for Client Lite, use Device Management Client instead.
Client Lite features
Client Lite supports these features introduced in the subsequent chapters:
Advanced configuration options
Client Lite has many configuration options to enable/disable features that have impact on memory (both RAM and ROM). There are two different types of configurations:
The Client Lite repository contains:
- A reference example application that registers to Device Management.
- Client Lite sources with a C-based API.
- Scripts to generate application-specific OMA-objects from OMA-xml-object-definition files.